Monday, November 23, 2015

Spartan Race - Aftermath

The past week has been rather busy with troubleshooting my desktop, and therefore I wasn't able to take time out to write out this post.
So even though I'm a bit tired, I felt like finishing up this post tonight before I rest for the week ahead of me.

Last Tuesday, I took leave to go to Sim Lim Square to do a diagnosis on the desktop from a very nice guy called Nigel (owner of PC Care & Solutions) who managed to drill down my issue to the Motherboard or Power Supply Unit (PSU) in a matter of minutes.
So if you're having problems with your desktop, can probably visit him for help.
Best of all, he did it for free~!

Apart from dealing with the desktop, I have also been resting my tired body from the... SPARTAN RACE!!!
Yes! I have conquered the Spartan Race on 15 Nov 2015!

AROO~! AROO~! AROO~!

It was quite a challenging and fun race for me. My timing was 1:34:17, could do better.
Was resting quite a lot and making myself comfortable before each obstacle. haha...
To note down this rather memorable achievement, below are 3 aspects of the race that I felt made it challenging for me.

1) The LONG run...


I'm not a strong runner, so long distance running is a bit tough for me.
Seeing that it was a Spartan Race Sprint, of which the description on the website said it would be a 3+ mile run with obstacles, I thought the race would be around 5 km only (3 miles = 4.8 km).

What I didn't expect was when I ran past the board which said "6 KM", and I'm still nowhere near the finishing line. -_-"
During the run from Nicoll highway to the floating platform, I kept asking myself... "Where the HELL is that turn-around point?!#$^*&"

In the end, I estimated the total distance to be around 7 km, which is something I didn't really train for. 
On hindsight, 3+ mile oculd also mean 3.9 miles (which is 6.8 km).
Next time I should probably train towards the upper limit, instead of just being optimistic.

2) Monkey Bars


Monkey bars is something I'm used to playing back in primary school days, and also when I was in the army.
Overcoming the Monkey bars back then wasn't that challenging, even with full uniform, helmet, webbing, magazine, boots, and a SAR21 rifle on my back.
But in this race, in just my running attire, I actually failed. 

Here's the actual depiction of what the Monkey bars station was like during the race.


It wasn't just 'bars'; it was a lot more than that!
The set-up wasn't the conventional type that I used to have in army.
It consisted of bars that are not stationary, rings, and hanging ropes with a knot at the end.
And worst of all, as I climbed through the obstacle, the next handle was a bit higher than the one before.

I think I managed to get to the 5th handle, before I looked at the next one and decided that the next handle was too high for me; I did not have the strength to do it.
I just dropped down.
I tried a second time (although I think it wasn't allowed), and failed at the 3rd handle this time, while injuring my right shoulder (which is still recovering from my Switzerland trip in July).

Oh well, 30 burpees it is~
At least this was the only time I did the burpees through the race (*pat on the back).

3) Bucket Brigade


This obstacle was the one I deemed the toughest of them all.
It wasn't like the Monkey bars whereby you can simply fail, do 30 burpees, and then move on.
This was a grueling 100+ metres of carrying a bucket full of stones, which I think is around 45 kg.

It was a torture for me!
Around 15 minutes of carrying this bucket, resting multiple times, dropping and lifting it up...
It took me great discipline to not 'accidentally spill' some of the stones during the obstacle (which a few of the runners did).
I was really using my 吃奶的力量!

But still, step by step, I completed this obstacle, along with the other obstacles.

Aftermath Thoughts 


It has been a short but fulfilling journey of training up towards this race.
I was training for a specific goal, and it felt great to work towards it.
Completing this race is nothing of a great achievement, but it does gives me a small sense of life fulfillment.
Therefore, in addition to labelling this event as an enhancement to my Physical Well-being, I also want to label it as an enhancement to my Lifestyle.

I would definitely recommend anyone to take part in it!
Enjoy the process of preparing yourself for the race, and enjoy the race itself by going at your own pace.
And if you have like-minded friends to form a team, even better!

Bonus GIF of me doing the Fire Jump in 'style' =p

No comments:

Post a Comment