Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Gaining fitness - Against the emerging muffin top and preparing for Spartan Race SG

Alright, I am done with my procrastination for now.
Let's get this project rolling~!

I shall start on the issue that is most pressing on my mind - physical well-being.
There are different aspects of physical well-being.
But I shall focus on just one aspect first, which is fitness.

So why is it the most pressing issue in my life now?
There are mainly two reasons.

Reason #1

After I came back from Switzerland in mid-July, I was caught up in work until the start of October.
Almost every day I was working OT until late at night, and I even burned my weekends in order to deliver my report in time. I didn't have much time to do anything else. And so, my physique went downhill. Before I knew it, my weight has climbed from the usual 66 kg (a bit fatter than my old self) to 69 kg (a lot fatter, and above my healthy BMI range). This kind of "extreme OT" period has happened before, but my physique has never really gone awry. My guess is that my age is catching up and my basal metabolic rate is not as high as before, so I can't burn as much fats as I did when I was younger by just sitting in front of the computer doing finger exercises.

I'm also getting comments that I looked fatter than before. Apparently it's quite obvious from the shape of my face. My dearest has also given her most polite feedback on my belly, which is like an emerging muffin top now. I told her I would do something about it.

In short, I'm getting FAT.

Reason #2

Few months back, I thought it would be fun to sign up for the inaugural Spartan Race Singapore that would be happening in mid-Nov.

Here's an introduction of the race that I have signed myself up for.



When I first told dearest that I signed up for this, I think her first thought was why would anyone put themselves up for such torture? haha.. but she understood why I took an interest in this. I remembered the days when I did my Standard Obstacles Course (SOC) in army, I really enjoyed doing the obstacles (but not the running). So to me, this Spartan Race would be like a giant playground. The government should build something like this in the neighbourhood. haha..

But the difficulty in completing the race can't be ignored.
The word "Spartan" in the name of the race is not there for show.
The 5 km run would be tough, and the obstacles would be tougher.
I know that I would be smiling at the end of it all because I have achieved something.
But I do not want myself to be thinking "why the hell did I pay $100+ for this???" when I'm in the middle of it, struggling towards the finishing line.
So, I better get prepared for what's coming in less than a month's time.
And after this, I shall call myself, a SPARTAN.

THE PLAN

I have came up with two approaches in the hope that I can lose weight (and my muffin top), and prep myself well before the anticipated tough race.

Approach #1

In view of the horrible haze that has engulfed the country since September, running outdoors seems to be more harmful to my health. There are some good days though, but most of the time it's not advisable to go out panting like a mad man. Therefore, I needed to find some exercises to do at home.

I have tried static exercises previously, but I'm always stuck with the few standard ones such as push-ups, sit-ups, plank, squats, etc. I searched around Google Play store and discovered this App called, Sworkit Lite - Workout Trainer.



At the start, I get to choose what kind of workout I want to do. After that, I get to select the duration of my workout. I like this app because it has a variety of exercises which are randomized each time I do my workout, and the app shows a demonstration of the exercise. So I'm not really stuck with the few exercises that I know.

My usual routine now goes like this

1. 5 min of Stretching (warm-up)
2. 5 min of Strength
3. 5 min of Cardio (starts to sweat a lot)
4. 5 min of Strength
5. 5 min of Cardio (feels like dying)
6. 5 min of Stretching (cool-down)

Total time: 30 minutes

Why 30 minutes?
Because I get a Gold medal in the app for doing 30 minutes or more in a single day. haha..

I like doing a variety of exercises in the comfort of my own room, without having the need to always plan specifically what kinds of exercises I need to do. There's still the custom workout option in the app next time if I want to develop my own routine, but right now I prefer the randomized function. There's also the paid version with more customization available, but I'm not willing to part with my $5.50 for this app. In fact, I'm so frugal (or stingy), I have not paid to use a single app in my whole life yet.

For anyone who happens to come across this post and is interested in the app, here's the link.

Approach #2

On good days when the climate is more forgiving, I go for a run at the stadium. I haven't done much running, because the climate is really shitty nowadays. But here's what I am planning to do.

1. Slow jog to the stadium and stretching (warm-up)
2. Interval training for 6 rounds around the track (run 1 round, rest. repeat)
3. Slow jog back home, and stretch (cool-down)

I probably can complete a round in 1m50s continuously, and still be able to last 6 rounds.
Any faster than that, I would probably be clocking more than 2m for the next round.

Running would really be important for me to get accustomed to the pace at the Spartan race. But news just came in yesterday that the haze may last till early next year because Indonesia has failed to extinguish the forest fire, and the hot spots are still growing in numbers. Hopefully the wind can help in getting some good days for me to run. And I wonder if the race would be cancelled if it gets too hazy that day.

Today seems like a fine evening to go for a run!
Unfortunately, I caught a cold since yesterday and is still recovering from it. =(

But, as part of my habit-building for my physical well-being, I shall strive to exercise every single day after I have recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment